Takaom Universe

Takaom Universe
Save your planet!

Friday, July 16, 2010

Review: The Dark Man

 The Dark ManThe Dark Man by Marc Schooley

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Set in the not-too-distant future, this book is a quirky, surreal adventure story that is an emotional roller coaster up to the book's climactic end. Charles Graves is a master of disguise, a government agent dedicated to uncovering underground churches and "reclaiming" its members for a terrifying state religion and its censorship of every form of expression. Outwardly at the top of his game, inwardly Charles is unraveling at a terrifying rate.  I hesitate to say much about the excellently woven plot and vivid characterizations as it might reveal too much this book's great story.  I can say that this book is definitely an adventure book that oddly enough reminds me a bit of Roger Zelazny's Doorways in the Sand with its quirky mental puzzles and The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy. It is definitely a story of personal redemption and the price one has to pay to do the right thing.  This is a book I will recommend to my friends and I will re-read it.

View all my reviews >>

1 comment:

  1. Many thanks, W.H. It's all the better coming from a journalism graduate, too.

    I love the name of your site, btw.

    Marc Schooley

    ReplyDelete