Takaom Universe

Takaom Universe
Save your planet!

Saturday, February 13, 2010

The power of speculative fiction

Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth--
for your love is more delightful than wine.
Song of Songs 1:2

Tomorrow being Valentine's Day, I am posting a day early so I can give my bride my undivided attention. Thinking about Valentine's Day brings the Song of Solomon to mind.

The leader of the International House of Prayer, Mike Bickle, became a reluctant teacher of the Song of Songs.  Bickle, author of  Passion for Jesus, often tells how God led him to begin teaching what he initially felt was a feminine book. The son of a prize fighter and every bit a man's man,  he felt ill at ease in teaching about the Church's affection as the Bride of Christ for her groom, Jesus.Yet God soon changed his mind.

I found the concept a little daunting myself.  I could only conceive of such a kiss from an intellectual aspect. It was something that as a heterosexual man I instinctively rebelled against.

A few years ago while doing some late night grocery shopping, I came across a display of the just published book, Glorious Appearing by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins.  I thought it a little odd for the books to be sitting in a grocery store.

As I looked at the books, I felt an urge to pick one up and leaf through it.  My eyes fell on a passage where Jesus simultaneously gave each believer his infinite, undivided attention in a private conversation. It was a staggering moment to be able to visualize what I intellectually knew that he loves us each individually with a holy passion and all at the same time can give each Christian his infinite, undivided attention.

I put the book down and finished my shopping, thinking all the while about what I had just read.  I took my groceries to my car and sat in the car, chilled by the winter night.  I hesitated to turn on the ignition.

I thought again of that divine meeting told in the book and I wondered, "Would Jesus see me out of the crowd of millions of believers?  Would he know me?  Would he approve of me?"

I looked back over my years as a Christian and felt so ashamed. I had accomplished so little and failed so often.

Then a wave of pure love swept over me. It was Jesus.  It was as if the LORD said,  "Yes, I see you.  I know you and I love you with a pure and undying love."

I sat in the dark weeping, not from shame, but out of a heartfelt gratitude that my Savior knew me in all my imperfection and still loved me.

I had been kissed by the kisses of his mouth.

Had it not been for the faithfulness of LeHaye and Jenkins, I might never have experienced it.

No comments:

Post a Comment